I was going for a cheery shabby chic look for K's big girl bed/room and I am SO happy with the results. That's right, I finally finished her quilt and sham. You can see more progress here and here.
My mom and I hand quilted the quilt and then I sewed the binding by hand as well. All the hand quilting and sewing took a long time, but I'm glad I did it that way, because the result is lovely! (Thought I will say that I probably won't be hand quilting for a while, my fingers are still red!)
The sham is exactly as I pictured it to be in my head. I even machine quilted the front to add a bit more detail.
Before I go, here is one of the tricks I came up with as I dreampt up this quilt. I saved images of each of the 7 fabrics onto my computer. Then I created a photo document which allowed me to move around the fabrics into different combinations and positions. This way I could move it all around digitally before cutting and ruining my precious fabric. I could also see it all in one place rather than having to clear a big floor space in order to picture the future result. Check it out, this digital image is the exact placement of the final project pictured up above!
Now we are working on setting up her bed and room. I'll be sure to post pictures of it all put together!