Did you know that they sell microwaveable caramel popcorn? They don't yet have it at WalMart, and I was too lazy to go drive to another grocery store for it, so I decided to make it from scratch. Glad I did, because fresh caramel popcorn is the best!! Something about it is perfect on a cool, lazy Fall day.
Approx. 12-15 cups of popcorn
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. stick butter
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt (I suggest less if you are using presalted/buttered popcorn)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Optional: You could also add M&Ms, nuts, or other candys to the popcorn before tossing with caramel sauce.
1. Cook brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges.
2. Continue cooking 5 minutes; remove from heat.
3. Stir in baking soda until foamy
4. In a large bowl or dish, pour mixture over popcorn and toss until evenly coated.
5. Let cool slightly and ENJOY! Store in airtight container or in ziplock bags.